Wednesday 9 December 2015

On the road...



"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase, it the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau 

There are just thirty five stitches for the needles to work, for the yarn to meander in and out and keep my itchy fingers busy when I'm in the passenger seat. I'm knitting another simple garter stitch scarf. This time in Icelandic Lopi yarn to match Ahmad's Cobblestone Pullover. Perfect timing for Hannah's invitation to help with the move, basement to attic. From up on the hill, down to the creative Bohemian quarter. 

When there wasn't enough room in the car for bookcases and me, I happily inhabited a big comfy armchair and borrowed a copy of Walden from the bookcase. What with Thoreau, knitting, ginger beer and Swedish ginger biscuits it felt like the butterfly was comfortably perched on my shoulder. 

We even had time for a lunch at my favourite friendly Bristolian

I don't have a recipe for crunchy Danish ginger biscuits but this is an old family recipe for fairings which are traditional Cornish ginger biscuits. They are named after the edible treats that were traditionally sold at English fairs:-

Ginger Fairings

Ingredients:
  • 6oz of Self Raising flour
  • 3oz of golden caster sugar
  • 2tsp of ground ginger
  • 4oz of butter
  • 1tbs of syrup
  • A pinch of bicarbonate of soda
Method:
  1. Prepare a baking try by oiling and preheat the oven to 275-300c/140-150f
  2. Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan
  3. Sieve the dry ingredients into the melted butter and mix well.
  4. Roll  teaspoons full of the mixture in the palms of your hands to make little balls.
  5. Place on the baking tray and cook for 15 to 20 minutes using the bottom shelves in the oven.

joining ginny and nicole...
...coming?

debx


8 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun place to live. Lucky Hannah! Bet it was hard choice to sit in a big comfy chair and knit with Thoreau instead of lugging a bookcase. Ha! Those top two pictures look very similar to some areas around here. Guess it is a small world after all!

    Hope you are rested up from the move!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he...I know...I got the long straw Jane. I felt very guilty but enjoyed the enforced rest and I did help them carry things up each time they brought a load of things back. I love the new area she's moved too, very cosmopolitan and lots of interesting things going on but only a stones throw from her old apartment.
      Interesting too about those similar photos.
      Take care,
      debx

      Delete
  2. hope you all didn't have to do this move in the rain!!!! Some very enticing looking shop windows----did you get a change to browse a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the rain eased off by the time we arrived Steph. There are really interesting shops with lovely things but no we didn't actually have time to look this time. Lots selling craft and handmade things, vintage and second hand too. Pop up shops and local produce. I noticed signs for a Christmas market that sounds fun but don't know if we'll get time to visit. There does seem to be a lack of yarn shops though...must check that out...
      dx

      Delete
  3. I bet H appreciated your help with the move, that is hard hard work!! I bring my knitting every where just in case!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She did thanks Karen and it was good to see her happily settled in. I'm so glad I'm organised now to have those extra projects on hand.
    dx

    ReplyDelete